Saturday, April 27, 2013

$32+

While I'm still sitting on the bench with my running injury, I'm thinking about my plan of attack to get stronger once I'm 100% healthy. I've been reading lots about the benefits of cross-training and strength training, both things I'm woefully bad at and know I need to incorporate into my mostly running-only exercise schedule.

But the frustrating thing is, every single cross-training or strength-building class I'm finding in NYC seems to be $32/class or higher. <pause> !!!


Ballet/Barre classes- I actually used to regularly attend Physique 57 and then became a member at Exhale for a few months (back when I thought spending over $300 a month on barre classes + a gym membership was reasonable). Drop-in classes at Physique are $36 and $37 at Exhale. Going just four times a month = over $140.


Spin classes- Soulcycle and Flywheel incorporate arm weights into the spin classes, so you get more of a full body workout than just cardio. At $34/class and $32/class they are slightly cheaper options than barre classes, but still almost as bad.


Small circuit classes- I think this is what I'm most interested in pursuing, but the prices are still so dang high! I've always been scared of the weight room at gyms and have zero motivation for circuit-style workouts on my own. Other bloggers rave about Uplift (which apparently pairs workouts with wine!) and Refine (love their infographic above, because this explains my dilemma perfectly), but classes are still $32 each.

Crossfit- I am something holy terrified of Crossfit. Two bloggers that I love (here and here) are obsessed with Crossfit, and both have banging bodies, but I am terrified that my clumsy self just won't be able to handle it. That, and I'm absolutely petrified to attempt jump boxes. Petrified. Crossfit does offer somewhat of a break with pricing at only $25 per class, but it's still a pretty penny.

I bet you're saying, but just join a gym that offers classes! Been there, tried that. NYC gyms are always PACKED and trying to join a group class is more headache than it's worth- no personal attention (which I think is important, especially if you're new) to check form, and usually, not enough room to properly perform a move.

Frustrating, right? It's a little disheartening to think that to take a few strength training classes a month it's at least an extra $100 bucks... and to see real results, it's more like $200-$300. Not for the faint of heart, and not for someone on a tight budget.

What's a girl to do?!

No comments:

Post a Comment