Sunday, April 21, 2013

3.0

... is the speed I walked on the treadmill at the gym this morning. 3.0 is slower than my normal cool down, but today it felt like speed lightning.

Ironically, I wore this shirt today. It should read 'I miss sweat.'
At my doctor's appointment last week I found out that while my stress fractures are healing, I still won't be able to run for at least another month... walking at 3.0 is as fast as I'll be for the next few weeks. I'm up to about 25 minutes of comfortable walking (this is not the time to push it or feel uncomfortable), am able to do some arm weights again, and can attempt swimming. (although the doc said not to use my legs or kick much... hmmm)

Am I growing impatient, especially as the weather turns nicer and it seems like all of Manhattan has now picked up running? YES. And do I have moments of whining and self pity? YES. But I will run again-- thoughts of Boston are still weighing heavy on my heart, and so many people won't have the chance to run again. And I will. I'm channeling this thought to try to stay positive and focus on the big picture-- come end of May, I should be proudly able to run a mile again. And that makes me smile :)

Running injuries are not fun, but they aren't the end of the world. They are frustrating, humbling, and painful. But they are temporary! 

No comments:

Post a Comment