Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Different Type Of Marathon


Almost as satisfying as running 26.2. ;)

I got back to NYC last night around midnight, leaving the weekend open to take care of two important things: cleaning and cooking, both of which had fallen by the wayside since Sandy. I decided that today would be my cooking day and tomorrow would be my cleaning day.

I needed to go to the grocery store to start my cooking marathon, so I ran the 3.3 miles to Trader Joes. My hamstring is still tender, but it was a fast 3 miles. I did lots of stretching and icing before turning on the SVU Marathon and jumping into cooking. 

It took about 4 hours, but here is what I accomplished:

Turkey meatballs 
Lentil soup  
Broccoli-cheddar soup 

I'll freeze about half of the meatballs and both soups, so I should have enough food for a few weeks! I also pre-cut all the fruits and veggies I needed for green smoothies this week, and roasted some chickpeas for lunch salads. I hadn't really gone to the grocery store after Sandy knocked out our fridge so I had fallen into the habit of picking up lunch everyday... which isn't good for the wallet or the waist line. Even though I spent a bit more than usual at the grocery store, I'm well stocked and hopefully will be able to avoid falling into the 'I'll just order dinner' routine. Chicken was also on sale ($1.99/pound!) so I'm making sweet chili chicken and sweet potatoes tomorrow night.

Now back to the SVU Marathon and enjoying a quiet night in after a busy week!

Run Stats: 3.3 miles along the East River to Trader Joes, 30:08, 9:08/mile pace

No comments:

Post a Comment