Sunday, November 10, 2013

If It Hurts, STOP

Alternately titled... the long run that didn't happen. Yesterday I attempted four miles for my 'long' run of the week, but I only made it about 1.5 miles before I had to stop. I've been enjoying pain-free runs, and while my long run last week was near perfect, this week was an entirely different story.

Just look at that ridiculous smile on my face... and no, I did not pay $25 for a digital download.
About a mile in, I started noticing a 'pulling' feeling in my pelvis. It was similar to the pain I felt the day I fractured it so I decided to slow down, take my headphones off, and pay attention to my form. I tend to run with a 'sway back,' or in simple terms, with my butt sticking out. Not great form for your hips, so I tried to focus on bringing my pelvis back and running with my hips in. After about 1/2 a mile, the pain hadn't disappeared so I decided to stop. I stretched, massaged my hip, and walked a bit to see how it felt. No pain, so I started to jog again, but after another mile or so, I started to feel the same 'pulling' pain.

It was quite the internal battle but I decided to just call it a day at this point. Part of me still feels guilty, and thinks I should have pushed through what is likely just a sore muscle from last week's training session. But my more rational side knows I made the right decision. If it was just soreness, I'll be fine in a few days. But if the pain was a sign of a bigger problem, I made the right decision to pull back. It's tough to feel like you 'failed' at a run, but I'd really be beating myself up if I reinjured myself on a silly four mile training run.

My setup this evening. My physical therapist would be proud.
I took a rest day today and spent my Sunday lounging on the couch, cooking, cleaning, stretching, foam-rolling, and icing my pelvis. I'll likely skip my Monday spinning class in favor of a swim, and then try again for a run on Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment