Sunday, September 29, 2013

Officially Canceled

Today, I finally pulled the plug on the NYC Marathon. I had stubbornly clung to hope that I would be able to run, but that's just not in the cards this year. After feeling a sharp pain in my groin on my last long run for the NYC Half in March, I found out that I had 3 stress fractures in my pelvis. (yes, three. Apparently when I get injured, I really do it well.)

After the diagnosis, I had to be nearly sedentary- there isn't much you can do to heal a pelvis fracture other than rest, and unlike other stress fractures, like in the foot or shin, you're not supposed to partake in ANY physical activity. So from about March to May, I did nothing.

In the middle of May, I was given clearance to start physical therapy, which I've gone to for twice a week since. I was also told I could start swimming, so I've donned a pair of goggles and a swim cap 2-3 times a week ever since. Over the summer, I also had start-and-stops with running. My physical therapist would try to have me run for 30 seconds on the treadmill, but it was always so painful I had to stop. And now, almost October and almost 6 months post-injury, I'm FINALLY able to run 2 miles with only a mild twinge of pain.

Reality hit hard today when I had to hit the 'cancel entry' button for the NYC Marathon. With only 34 days to go, there is absolutely no way that I can physically go from running 2 miles a week to a 26.2 miles in a day. And it wouldn't be the marathon that I wanted to run-- I've waited before to run the NYC Marathon, and I'll wait again.

2014, you better be my year to finally get it right! I'm recommitting to this blog to chronicle my workouts as I get back into running shape. Consider this the kickoff to the road to the marathon...

No comments:

Post a Comment